Saturday, June 26, 2010

Language

This is my belief regarding language.

The notion of languages, take for example Malay, English, Japanese, Arabic.....
the notion that these language exists is true.

To some extent.

What extent?

Ok, I believe that every single person has his or her own unique language. Speaking pattern, grammatical usage, word choice, and so on.

In other words, Malay, English, all these languages, are actually a perceived notion.
I call these languages, a perceived common language.

Malay, for example.

Does the way I speak Malay exactly the same as the way others speak Malay?
If you think about it, some people have their very own style, word choice, grammatical usage of speaking. It's not just dialects or accents.

Take the word 'fuck" for example.

You know a video which highlights the way people use that word?
You will notice, that a single word can mean differently in different situations.
Which means, it is possible for a word to mean differently to different people.

I don't use the word 'fuck' very often in my daily speech.
For me, the word is just too harsh on most occasions.
But I am a very harsh writer.
I won't hesitate in writing "these fucking people".
If I am really pissed.
But the same rule does not apply to my speech patterns, and I avoid the word almost totally in my speech.

Others may not have these kind of rule in their speech.
They might be stricter, or looser, or just different.

So what am I thinking is the possibility....
...that not a single person among us....
not even Muhammad....understand Quran the way God does.

And the possibility that no one among the Prophet's followers, understand his word the way the Prophet himself does.

Sounds weird, right?
Just a theory, not proven.

No comments:

Post a Comment