Friday, September 21, 2012

The Desire To Speak

-The desire to speak sometimes overwhelms me, and gets the better of me, and yet, usually I end up regretting things that I said when I was overcame with that desire.

-Maybe that's just part of being a largely silent, reserved person. I am not talkative; so maybe when I do have to speak, driven by desire, the speech that's largely suppressed by my personality comes out. And I end up regretting most of my remarks when I am controlled by that desire; I can sometimes say very ill-informed, bigoted, badly-worded, plain stupid remarks.

-I need to monitor the time when I do speak. A Malay proverb says, "Terlajak perahu boleh berundur, terlajak kata badan binasa." (Literally, 'Out-of-course boats can be retreated, but misspoken words can result in destruction of one's body) I really, really need to meditate on the proverb.

No comments:

Post a Comment